The Omarosa flap has been fascinating to watch. She said that she just now came to the conclusion that Trump is a racist. Really? Just now? And Trump – who in 2016 said, “She’s a wonderful woman” and “She is such a fine person” – tweeted nothing but vitriol about her today. My favorite, though, was Andy Borowitz’s report, “Trump Says White House Is No Place for Lying Lowlife from Reality Show” (HERE).
Of course, the entire hullabaloo reminded me of one of Trump’s biggest lies: “I only surround myself with the best people” -- and that called to mind Emmett Lee Dickinson’s poem, “The Words drop careless from his Lips” (below on the left). Dickinson’s poem inspired third cousin Emily to pen her poem “A Word dropped careless on a Page” (below on the right).
By Emmett Lee Dickinson:
The Words drop careless from his Lips
When any issues rise
And folded in perpetual stream
The Wrinkled Old Man lies
Infection from his sentence breeds
We do inhale Despair
Let’s distance him like Centuries
At vote him out of Here –
By Emily Dickinson:
A Word dropped careless on a Page
May consecrate an eye
When folded in perpetual seam
The Wrinkled Author lie
Infection in the sentence breeds
We may inhale Despair
At distances of Centuries
From the Malaria –
10. “I hear you.” Words Trump was prompted to say to a group of survivors from the school shooting in Parkland, Florida.
9. “I hope we’re going to come up with an answer for DACA." Then Trump urged lawmakers to send him a “bill of love.”
8. “I’m going to be working for you, I’m not going to have time to go play golf.”
7. “No one will lose (healthcare) coverage. There will be insurance for everybody, and it will be a lot less expensive for everyone.’
6. "I will be a great unifier for our country."
5. “Nobody has more respect for women than I do. Nobody.” After Trump said this, derisory laughter from the audience was audible.
4. “I am not a racist.” He even added, “I am the least racist person you have ever interviewed, that I can tell you.”
3. “I only surround myself with the best people.”
2. “There was no collusion.” No. Just an overwhelming desire to help Russian orphans, right?
1. What is Trump’s biggest lie? We wrote about it in May, 2017, HERE.
Uh oh. I just listed Trump’s top ten lies, and I realized I did not include, “We’re going to build a wall, and Mexico is going to pay for it.”
Oh…and “I know more than the generals” and “I alone can fix things.”
Oh…and “I’ve signed more bills than any other president – ever.”
Oh…and then there’s the whopper about Obama wiretapping him – and the one about millions of people voting illegally.
Good grief -- there are soooo many more.
Hmmm…looks like I might need to re-work my top ten list of Trump’s lies. This is going to be more difficult than I thought.