* He wrote more poems about Thanksgiving than any other poet.
* He convinced Abraham Lincoln to establish the fourth Thursday in November as the official day for the holiday.
* He was the first person to draw an outline of his hand as a turkey.
* He invented cornbread stuffing (as well as corn chowder, corn muffins, corn nog, corn brittle, corn fritters, corn dogs, candy corn, creamed corn, cornbread, corn pudding, corn dip, corn nuggets, corn jelly, corn relish, corn salsa, and corn whiskey).
* He established the "Shopping Season" (formerly called the "Holiday Season"), and advocated for stores to open on Thursday -- one day ahead of Black Friday -- thereby changing "Thanksgiving" to "Thanksgetting" (a term Dickinson coined).
Dickinson also established the haiku as the official art form of the holiday. Some of Dickinson's Thanksgiving haikus are below (shown in the poet's handwriting). To read more of Dickinson's holiday haikus, click HERE, and scroll down to the entry dated November 28th.
and scroll down to the entry dated November 28th.