October 30th is National Candy Corn Day, and normally it is a festive day filled with joy and whimsy – and of course, plenty of candy corn (invented in the 1800s by Emmett Lee Dickinson, Emily Dickinson’s third cousin, twice removed – at her request).
However, this year, National Candy Corn Day will be a somber affair as we remember the life of Candace “Candy” Koren, the former Chief Global Implementation Identity Consultant and Regional Paradigm Analyst for the World Candy Corn Congress in Baden-Baden, Germany, who died last year on National Candy Corn Day.
Here is a summary of the events from last year that led to Ms. Koren’s passing:
* On September 23, 2017, one “Elon James White” (if that is his real name) used the Twitter account @elonjames to tweet that Donald Trump was “the candy corn of people.”
* We immediately condemned this remark on behalf of candy corn lovers -- and the North American Candy Corn Council.
* When news crossed the Atlantic, Ms. Koren called TWIB.FM in Oakland, California, to demand a retraction and an apology from Mr. White. She was placed on hold, and she remained on hold for more than four weeks. She was determined to hold until Mr. White picked up the phone, but Mr. White refused to take her call.
* Ms. Koren was undeterred. She held the line and missed her child’s Back-to-School Night. She held the line and did not go home to feed her cats. She held the line and missed four weeks of her bowling league which significantly handicapped her team, the Incredi-Bowls.
* Last year, on October 30 – National Candy Corn Day – we reported the heartbreaking and tragic news that Ms. Koren had died. Her last words were, “Yes, I’ll continue to hold for Mr. White.”
* This year, in honor of Candance “Candy” Koren, the Dickinson Organization of Poetry Enthusiasts and the Emmett Lee Dickinson Museum will join with the World Candy Corn Congress in Baden-Baden, Germany, to host a memorial concert dedicated to the life and work of Ms. Koren.
Nicki Minaj and Cardi B (rumor has it that they will sing National Candy Corn Day holiday songs by Irving Berlin)
Arax Krikorina, John Goodman’s stunt double
Two members of the John Mayer Trio and Four members of Maroon 5
Mike Lindell, inventor of “My Pillow”
Thomas Barbusca, Peter Pan in GEICO’s 2015 commercial, will reprise this, his greatest role
Lewis Black, political comedian and confessed “candy corn addict" (will sing Ma Nah Ma Nah!)
Lindsay Lohan and the Syrian Refugee National Radio Children’s Choir
Ye -- appearing with the founder of Bikers for Trump Chis Cox’s “Wall of Meat” Dancers