I am in a state of shock.
Having returned home today from the March for Candy Corn in Washington, DC (pictured below), I was feeling confident and empowered. Hundreds of thousands congregated in Washington yesterday in support of the rights of those who love candy corn and in defense of the harassment they endure . As a matter of fact, it was the largest gathering in our nation’s capital ever. Period.
Pictured below: Saturday's March for Candy Corn in Washington, DC.
Then, in the flash of an instant of a moment, the feelings of renewed faith and support all came crashing down. I am truly at a loss for words, so I will have to force myself to report what happened. Without providing too protracted an explanation, I will offer this brief, succinct, concise and condensed account of the facts as I know them:
* On September 23, 2017, at 11:49 a.m., Elon James White, the struggling host of a podcast, tweeted that Donald Trump was the “candy corn of people.” (Information is HERE and HERE.)
* On that same date at 11:49 a.m., the world of candy corn lovers was rocked to its core – or should I say "to its cob"?
* at 11:50 a.m., many addicts and enthusiasts of the tri-colored candy began organizing and planning for a unified response.
* By 12:00 noon, Candace “Candy” Koren, the Chief Global Implementation Identity Consultant and Regional Paradigm Analyst for the World Candy Corn Congress, had drafted a proclamation demanding White’s retraction of the comment and a heartfelt apology.
* Members of the Dickinson Organization of Poetry Enthusiasts (DOPE) launched a prodcast in support of Ms. Koren’s efforts. You can read the installments HERE.
* The American Federation of Candy Corn Distributors planned the National March for Candy Corn in Washington, DC, which – as I stated above – resulted in the largest gathering in our nation’s capital ever. Period.
Late this afternoon, though, the roof caved in when – in yet another occurrence of cruelty – Mr. White responded to a tweet about the love of candy corn:
The “trash you ingest”? “Meth heads”?
This is too much for the burdened and beleaguered candy-corn-loving population to endure. Fans of candy corn are NOT like those cretins and troglodytes who eat Circus Peanuts. Those things are crap! We are a loving, caring people who are selfless and teach others how to show love, kindness and compassion.
A world with such blatant persecution of candy corn consumers is a world where depression, hatred, hopelessness and selfishness are cultivated.
Please show your support for candy corn lovers on October 30, National Candy Corn Day ...and please, do NOT perpetuate the War on National Candy Corn Day.
What you can do? That will be the subject of an upcoming plog (poetry blog) post.
For now, stand with us, and take a knee for candy corn! Stay woke! Become a member of the resistance – and wear your tri-colored cap!
Below: Two symbols of the resistance: the candy corn fist and Emmett Lee Dickinson's third cousin (twice removed -- at her request) in the traditional tri-color candy corn cap.